Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Trading this for this

The prizes (aka cavity savers)
The loot (aka the cavity makers)


So, we spent Halloween with our friends that had relatives in town. These relatives had recently discovered that their son had diabetes. This was their first Halloween with a diabetic child and had heard of a creative way of still making Halloween still fun. They incorporated it for all of their kids. They would let their kids pick out 10 pieces of candy and then pay their kids for the rest of it. I thought that this was a good idea even if my kids don't have diabetes. Trick or treating is fun but my kids have had major dental work and we are trying to take a preventive course of action so there won't be further problems. I decided to present the idea to them but instead of giving them money, I would trade them for a prize. They totally bought into the idea and willingly gave me all their candy. It was a great trade, but just FYI, DON'T EVER BUY MOON SAND!!! (It is the messiest thing ever. We ended up throwing it away that day and trading it in for Connect 4 which Dallin LOVES!)

2 comments:

Hansen family said...

I "bought" candy from Lauren and Chloe too. Ha ha, MoonSand has been banned from our house, it has to be played with outside on a big old sheet! Your family, and extended family pictures look great!

K. Bitton said...

What a great idea!! I was glad this year Grace only ate a few pieces and that was it. I didn't hear another word out of her for more candy. I hope that continues;) Thanks for the tip on moon sand. I have thought about getting it a few different times.